Strawberry Words is a small company based in Birmingham, UK. It is led by Director Rebbecca Hemmings who works with a small team of associates. From having conversations around racial inclusion and cultural awareness to improving wellbeing, confidence building, public speaking training, we offer a wide range of bespoke personal development options to help people flourish individually and as a society.
In all that we do, people come first. If we are not well, authentic and balanced as human beings, how can we be expected to deliver our work to the best of our ability? Our delivery style is creative and challenging yet kind in its intention. The work we do if often described as, “challenging”, “thought-provoking”, “insightful” and in some instances “fun”.
As a collective, the company has successfully worked with over 6000 UK people since its inception in 2004 when we started working in schools (as Harvey Arts). Strawberry Words has now evolved and now also delivers services with businesses, 3rd sector organisations and individuals.
- Delivering a three year evaluation programme for Beatfreeks on Don’t Settle designed to empower young people of colour in the heritage sector. This is delivered with People and Organisation and Iris Bertz Ltd. (2019-2022)
- Mentoring 20 creative practitioner’s on Birmingham Hippodrome’s Astonish cultural leadership programme for creatives in 2017. This led to one participating at 10 Downing Street.
- Launching our Eradiate Hate programme in Chrysostom’s Primary, Manchester in Jan 2019 in response to the reactions to the Manchester bombing in 2017.
- Working on the diversity and British values project with the Education Central Multi-Academy Trust schools in 2017. This project saw us help over 900 pupils devise and perform at Wolverhampton University. In partnership with Arts Connect.
- Training Welsh National Opera practitioners in developing drama delivery in 2018.
- Delivering a spoken word and music programme of activity for the Living Arts Network in 2017. Over 6 months our practitioners used everything from SPaG (Spelling Punctuation and Grammar) raps, to exam paper poems to improve literacy levels. The final performance was held at The Old REP Theatre, Birmingham.
- Facilitating strategic planning and accountability session for FleetMilne Estate Agency is Birmingham, UK. This led to the company successfully achieving its financial targets. 2017 – 2019.
This is just a small sample of what we have done. We could mention the work we have delivered for: Black History Month in partnership with mac Birmingham and Blackstory Partnership, Birmingham Hippodrome, EF Academy in Devon, The Core at Corby Cube, West Midlands Fire Service, Wolverhampton Homes, and many more but you can ask us about that stuff anytime.